Wednesday, March 4, 2009

On the March.

All's grand on this side of the pond.

I'm currently waiting to print off boarding passes for the weekend outing in Scotland, land of the clan. The printer line's pretty long, so I thought I'd quick post another entry.

Last weekend was pretty good. My archaeology class went on a day trip to West Cork to check out some archaeological sites. Highlight of the trip (other than the ocean) was seeing this:

(That's a cattle stanchion. On the side of a castle. The farmer who owned the pasture was lucky that his land just happened to house a castle that just happened to have the right size doorway to help tag calves. Cracked me up a little bit.)

Adding to the cattle story, I spent about 25 minutes explaining to some friends how our farm works and what it was like... judging by their facial expressions it seemed they'd rather move to Indonesia and work in a sweatshop than put in the hours and work performed by Iowa's farmers.

Most of the places we went to were similar to this. We saw a lot of land and walked down a path to Drombeg Stone Circle (which was basically Stonehenge Jr.)

After the day long field trip I met some friends at Cavanagh's and we watched Ireland beat, but not trounce the English rugby team. I proudly wore the Eire rugby jersey and supported my host country, but to be honest the game was a bit shoddy. Very defensive, but Ireland's best players had a bad night and there were plenty of scoring opportunities wasted. Sunday was church again, then a movie (Doubt, with Meryl Streep and Philip Seymour Hoffman-- good movie, check it out), then a long walk around Cork. It was about 60 degrees on Sunday but that's all changed as I watched it snow on the way back from the pub last night.

Overall, it was a decent weekend. Probably my last one in Cork till God knows when. Referring to the entry title, I'll be "on the march" for practically the next three months. March is jam-packed with paper deadlines and weekend trips around Ireland, the whole of April will be a backpacking excursion across Europe, and May will also bring excitement, as I plan to check out Amsterdam, London, and perhaps Prague. I can't believe it's March already. The coming months will be a veritable mental and physical test of endurance, so it's a good thing that my recent exercise/study habits have taken a turn for the better. Welp, I'm gonna get marching, I'll leave this entry at that.

Again, sorry about the lack of pictures. I don't know what I have to do (besides take my time) to get more posted.

Slainte

No comments:

Post a Comment