Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Another little anecdote.

Just a mini-blog, like the 'Dogs' post.

I learned where Americans get the idea of 'fighting Irish' from last night. Of course, they've been fighting off the English and dealing with constant political turmoil/oppression for centuries, but here's how I discovered 'fighting Irish.'

Arriving home from a Tuesday evening at Cavanagh's, I opened the door to the flat and looked to the left to see a drenched window and two of my roommates completely soaked. Not only were they soaked, but the whole hallway/kitchen/common room of the place was immersed in water. Drenched. Apparently my Irish roommate, Stephen, made a snowball, took it upstairs and threw it at my roommate Katie. Being from New York, she's a fighter herself, so I guess they had been hurling bottles of freezing water at each other for at least a half hour. I couldn't miss out on this, so I joined Stephen's side. About 5 to 8 gallons later we had forced the girls into a cease-fire. This is another classic case of tomfoolery gone awry, but 'fighting Irish' was the term that came to mind as Stephen and I emptied liters of water onto our roommate's heads.

Childish? Yes. Bad idea? Yes. But we had fun, and I'm pretty sure that our flat's still the cleanest one in Deans Hall. The heaters have been cranked all day so I'm sure it's at least 50% dry. Good times. Have a good day/night, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment