Saturday, February 28, 2009

Dogs

I'll make this one quick.

As I walk around this neat little town/country, I see dogs everywhere. Doesn't matter what kind of dog. Pick one. Corgi, Scottish Terrier, Cocker Spaniel, Golden Retriever... whatever, there's a lot of them.

For some odd reason which, for the life of me, I can't explain... the dogs here are unbelievably well-trained. Every day I see over a dozen dogs getting walked. The amazing part about this? Not a single one has a leash on it. The dog simply walks about fifty feet ahead of its master, knowing the direct route it takes. The master has little control over the dog and can simply enjoy a short stroll about the town, puffing away at his pipe.

Hell, you even see this with stray dogs. The dogs that lack a master. They know where they are going. Dogs stroll down the sidewalks of Cork, Bandon, Midleton or Clonakilty, and I swear that a dog would be walking down the street, just as a typical Irishmen does... quaintly nodding "good day" to passersby and soaking up the good life. Maybe a tourist or two will throw them some scraps or scratch their head. It's not like they are asking for it, it just happens on occasion. The strays will just walk by one another and interact ust as humans do. A slight nod to each other when crossing paths, that's all. No fighting, no sniffing, no barking, no nothing.

How the people train dogs to act like this, I have no clue. It's really impressive though.

3 comments:

  1. The canine observation is a tell tale sign of something. What? Hmmm. Are you going to Rome? Brianna is on her way, Take a look at her blog and send a note. You are recording interestings stuff. Keep up the notes and photos. JW

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wondered who Mommo was, haha. I'll check hers out.

    ReplyDelete