All done with finals, and I'm leaving in a week! Leaving this scenic wonder of a place. Oh, boy. The weather. The craic. The air. The people. It's all going to change in about a week.
Took me about 20 seconds to write this sentence for lack of something to say.
I guess that's just kind of how it goes. After I "advertising majored" it through my last exam, I shut the blue book, held it up in the air, and that was when it hit me-- I'm leaving my second home in one week and won't be coming back for a long time. This is crazy. Did someone tie my ankle to the small arm of the clock and sit there spinning it like a kid with ADHD and no Nintendo? Is this some kind of joke that the powers that be are playing on us? Why does it speed up so much?
Anyways, I'd go into the whole "Why I'll miss it so much" spiel, but that's not what I'm about. I'm not going to dwell on what I don't have, or the people I can't be with. Moping is counter-productive. The friends I've made here have a very close bond, not just within each other but within the atmosphere we have come to love so well. But we have all matured greatly in our time here, even if we don't show it. My life is not going to suck when I get back. I'm not going to sit there and compare the life I've recently lived with my past life.
Home's coming, and it's going to be fantastic. I'll make it fantastic. This is probably the biggest lesson learned here. It's cliched, but life is only as good as you make it to be. And this last semester was an in-fricking-credible ride. It's been good.
To be honest, I know I've changed but I have no idea how. That's for everyone else to decide. Maybe you can tell already. Maybe not. I'm not expecting anything when I return home. Not expecting the same ol', same ol'. Everyone else has changed as I have... that is the way of things. The mind is open and ready to absorb. I've become pretty good at that, seems how I've been doing it at a constant rate for the past 140 days, excluding the pub sessions and following slumber.
I'm just going to return back, happy as a fat kid with an endless supply of beef (wait...) I'm really excited to see everyone, and to see how people have changed. Maybe I'll run into some people that I had taken for granted before I left. It's just a whole bunch of maybe's at the moment.
Finals are done, my room is going through a thorough cleaning process, and I'm currently jamming all my junk into the one suitcase I brought with me. I must be daft to think I'm going to cram all that stuff in one suitcase, but dammit I'm going to try. Tomorrow I'm flying solo to London on a 20 hour siteseeing frenzy, then figure out how in God's name I'll say goodbye to the, what... dozens of friends I've made and come to love and secretly loathe over the semester. This will be fun. Maybe I'll think of something really funny and write it down and post it on the blog in the mean time.
Oh, almost forgot. Last weekend I went to Galway. Saw a really good U2 cover band and stood on the edge of a (don't quote me on this) 300 foot cliff. I have an intense fear of heights, so this was quite an achievement for me. Considering that the sporadic wind gusts had to have been in the 40-5o mph range, I wasn't exactly being safe walking the brink of certain death. But I'm writing so two-thumbs up for that! The waves were so huge that they would crush against the cliffs, sending salt water at least a solid 60 feet above the ground, pelting the sight-seers, which was amazing to me. It was beautiful. Here's a picture:

Thanks for reading this whole semester everyone, I really appreciate it. I'll keep writing every once in a while over the next week if I think of anything.
Oh yeah, I'm also 21 in 9 days. Seriously? That's the age of an official adult. Great.
Peace out,
Slán go fóill
--Brendan

No comments:
Post a Comment