I'm leaving Ireland and am at a loss for words. My chest feels like it's going to cave in, and I can't determine if the shaking I'm constantly experiencing is anxiety or excitement.
The last days were unbelievable, and some of the best of my life. Friday night the girls were tired, so I went to the Mardyke for a last workout. Three hours of ab-whaling, bicep-pumping, neck-swelling, cardiovascular cleansing, and Michael Phelps appreciating later I was as sore as an Iowa fan after handing over the Cy-Hawk trophy. No one wanted to go out, so my buddy Tom and I caught the late showing of Star Trek. Most entertaining movie I've seen in a while, for nerds and normals alike. Good night it was.
Saturday is where it got interesting. Did some last minute shopping and bought supplies for the feast. The feast was bountiful to say the least. Hocine and I whipped up two big fat Irish hens, spuds, carrots and onions drizzled in garlic cloves, curry, thyme and rosemary. Sweet Christ, was it delicious! That's not all either. We also made a really delicious shrimp curry over rice, and my New Yorker pal Dylan brought up some homemade mexican rice with kidney beans. Throw a bottle of gin, a few fresh limes, Team America: World Police (for cooking motivation), some Guinness Foreign Extra, and over a dozen great friends and you've got yourself one hell of a last night out, as far as I can say. The night ended with a run to An Spailpin Fanac and An Brog for some good old-fashioned Irish debauchery. Possibly one of the best nights of my life, disregarding the amount of packing and cleaning I had to undertake.
Sunday I woke up, finished the packing and made my way to church. Church was great. My favorite Scripture reading, John 15, was featured... "My only command to you is this... love each other as I have loved you." and Rev. Dunne spoke of accepting diversity within the church and loving all beings of life regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation or social class. I couldn't have asked for a better final service in Ireland. After this I moseyed on down to UCC to take some pictures (although it was pouring rain) and a last walk around Cork. Feeling kind of depressed on the subject of my departure, I made my way back to my flat, where Garrett surprised me. Thank God that dude was there because I was about to break down. We took a stroll in the yard at St. Finbarre's, and came back home to see that Jurassic Park was on TV. Today just worked out in my favor unbelievably well. I'm glad my friends were all there for me and that constant random spirit-lifters happened throughout the day. For my last-last meal, I whipped up some roast beef with red wine sauce and mushrooms and a fine cabernet savignon. Fine as in around 6 quid. Fine enough for me. After I parted ways with Dylan and Tom, Garrett and I headed to the pub for a last pint of Beamish, then onto Sober Lane to bid adieu to the Boston crew. The night was capped off by a jam session... Andrea slappin the table, me strumming the guitar and wailing out lyrics, and Garrett right there with me. Hocine watched as we had the time of our lives. Time of my life, man. Time of my life. I love this country and hope I'll be back someday soon.
Slan go foill--- Peace be with all of you.
Sunday, May 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment